Jim Clark Room (21). Jim Clark was born in 1936 at Kilmany in Fife where his parents were sheep farmers and lived most of his life in Berwickshire after his parents moved to a farm in the area. He was a charismatic figure who started motor racing in 1956 and made his World Championship début in 1960 for Lotus, recording his first win the following year. He became World Motor Racing Champion in 1963 and again in 1965, a year in which he also won the Indianapolis 500 race in America. He was granted the Freedom of the Burgh of Duns in 1965, the highest honour the town can bestow on a person. He died tragically during a Formula 2 race at Hockenheim in Germany in April 1968.
Such was his world-wide appeal that a corner was named in his memory at that circuit. The Trophy Room is open from Easter until the end of October and visited by large numbers of motor racing enthusiasts from all over the world. There is also a Jim Clark Trail available which covers many of the sites associated with the life and career of Jim Clark. He is buried in Chirnside Kirkyard, 12 kilometres (7˝ miles) to the east.
Opposite the Museum is the Berwickshire Campus of Borders College. This was the Berwickshire High School, until the construction of the 'new' school on the outskirts of the town.
Continue onto New Road, which joins Langtongate heading to the edge of the town. Approximately 300m from the Jim Clark Room you will see on the right the South Lodge to Duns Castle. The South Lodge - which dates from 1820 - is locally known as Sally's Lodge after a former resident. Viewed from the front, the gate is asymmetrical with a round tower with a conical roof and the lodge on the left and a smaller square tower with a squat ogee roof on the right, linked by a round headed arch. There is a curved screen wall with dummy bartizans at the corners. During the Second World War there was a camp for 300 Polish soldiers established here.