Christ Church (14). Mr Hay of Duns Castle erected this Scottish Episcopal Church in 1857 to a design based upon a Romanesque style church which he had seen on the banks of the Rhine whilst on a sketching holiday. No doubt he made a quick drawing and brought it back to Duns. As well as being an amateur artist and architect, Mr Hay was the patron of the famous professional architect James Gillespie Graham. The slated roof has bands of fish scale slates, the windows and door have simple round-headed arches. The interior continues the Romanesque theme and has some fine decoration although glazing has now enclosed the choir loft.
Return to Castle Street and turn right to go uphill, this section being called Teindhillgreen in 1824. At one time there were several private schools in Duns, one of which can be found at number 47 Castle Street. This is a simple looking building in which the ground floor is some distance above the street level. The buildings of Castle Street date from the early 19th century but could incorporate earlier fabric, as title deeds exist dating back to the 1600s for at least one of the properties.