The romantic name of this lane has nothing to do with the sky, it was once called Spinning Yard Head and it was here that a material known as "Clud" was made. Robert Burns in one of his letters mentions that he has bought a length of "Dunse Clud" and he hopes that "twill wear well". The old stone weights for the looms are dug up in the gardens to this day. Hence "Clouds".
Tinker's Acre - a field, on the outskirts of the town, in which, in times past, the visiting gypsies or tinkers were allowed to camp without fear of being moved on. The name remains.
King's Entry - named to commemorate the visit to the town by King James VI in 1602.
Parliament Square - possibly named to commemorate the Union of the Parliaments of Scotland and England in 1707.